NPC-Caliraya-Lumot Watershed Area Team (CLWAT), DENR-CENRO Sta. Cruz and 202nd Infantry Brigade Phil. Army conducted Joint Law Enforcement and Dismantling Operation last March 11, 2019 at Sitio Kinatiklihan, Brgy. San Antonio, Kalayaan, Laguna, within Caliraya-Lumot Watershed Forest Reserve (CLWFR).
Watershed protection and enforcement of forestry laws is among the major programs of NPC-CLWAT to prevent the CLWFR from further damage. During the patrolling and surveillance operations of NPC-CLWAT personnel in Caliraya Lake, a hidden sawmill operation was discovered. Such illegal activities largely contribute to the degradation of remaining vegetation in CLWFR.
NPC-CLWAT organized the Joint Law Enforcement and Dismantling Operation upon confirmation of operation of illegal sawmill in the area. The combined forces of NPC, DENR and Philippine Army mobilized early in the morning of March 11, 2019 using the motorboat and speedboat of NPC-CLWAT as well as speedboat of Philippine Army. The joint operation resulted to apprehension of the following:
- One hundred twenty seven(127) sliced good lumber with a total volume of 781 bd. ft.;
- Sixty one (61) pieces of round logs (white lauan) with a total volume of 1,619.02 bd. ft.;
- Ten (10) sacks of charcoal;
- One (1) unit of chainsaw; and
- One (1) unit of bandmill (bolante).